Thursday, February 19, 2009

Canby


Canby Mayor Melody Thompson was nice enough to schedule a minute or two with me last night just before some sort of City Council Meeting at City Hall to autograph our map. It's a fine old building in the original part of downtown that you probably miss if you're just driving through on 99E. When I was a kid my sister and I used to pester my parents on a daily basis to take us to the park there, because they had an ultra-cool play structure. I tried to find it last night when I was wandering around town but I got distracted by all the people huddled exactly 10 feet from the entrance to the American Legion Hall smoking cigarettes in the cold. Between that and the Canby Pub and Grill, downtown seemed pretty hopping for a Wednesday night.
Unique pubs in 100 year old buildings almost cancel out sad cookie-cutter things like the new KFC/A&W on the highway next to the weird MASH helicopter that welcomes you when you're coming into town from the south.
After meeting the Mayor I tried to find the bridge we used to spend our summers jumping off into the Molalla River, but I'm not sure it exists anymore. Of course the Canby Ferry is still around, which is one of three Willamette River ferries that you cross on the fifth date with your new girlfriend from out of state. The fifth date is pretty much a pivotal make-or-break period in a new relationship so you want to bring the excitement of boats combined with the safe knowledge that it's only a 3-minute trip.
15 down, 227 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment