Thursday, January 22, 2009

Siletz


No trip to the Oregon Coast is complete without a trip to the Siletz Roadhouse. I imagine this place as being one of those places you would go to in the early 1980s and get beat up by either Chuck Norris, Patrick Swayze, or a monkey. Or possibly two of the above at the same time. There's definitely a monkey involved somehow. Up until about a year or so ago, they also brewed Siletz beer here, but they've unfortunately moved to Albany. The pizza here is still ridiculously good here for some incongruous reason, and you can still get a pint of Siletz Spruce Ale for three bucks. Since everything is so non-smoking these days, the wife and I taught little Henry how to hustle pool players on this visit. He made more than enough to pay for our meal in just under twenty minutes by jacking up a kick shot with money in the rack...or something.
I showed up 15 minutes early at City Hall for my appointment with Mayor Leslie Button so I could chat up the secretaries. Mayor Button showed up just after her weekly radio address in a worn pair of double-kneed Carhartts, which is probably the most awesome thing in the universe, ever. I wear Carhartts myself, but I never get to do a weekly radio address. She owns half of a plumbing company, and so the mayorship thing is strictly a volunteer gig. That's what kills me about these people: The selflessness and overwhelming sense of community that these people have is beyond admirable. Whenever I've volunteered to do something, It's usually for something kinda fun like removing ivy from Champoeg State Park or finishing off a keg. I sure as hell have never volunteered for something horrible like overseeing a water bureau. The paperwork alone would depress me beyond belief.
Three down, 239 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment